BI-style analytics on Spark (without Shark) using SparkSQL & SchemaRDD
Justin Langseth, Farzad Aref (Zoomdata)
- Moving from Storm to Spark Stream
Why they are using Spark?
- distributed and fast!
rich math library (MLlib, graphX, Bagel)
Holding small DS
- Holding aggregation datasets
- data fusion across disparate sources
- complex math
- Sharing Spark contexts
- Sharing RDDs across contexts
- Not sure about Tachyon
A Deeper Understanding of Spark Internals
Aaron Davidson (Databricks)
Major core components for performance
- exec model
Create exec plan
Pipeline as much as possible Split into stages, on need to reorganize data.
- Single KV must fit in memory!
Common issues checklist
Tuning the number of partitions
Spark on YARN: a Deep Dive
Sandy Ryza (Cloudera)
YARN: Execution/Scheduling (decides who/what/WHERE gets to run) ![img] (/assets/images/yarn.jpg)
Why to run on YARN?
- manage workloads (allocate shares)
- security (kerberos cluster)
YARN Spark 1.0 + CDH 5.1: Easier app submission
spark-submit. Stable since CDH 5.0
Problem with data locality
When running Spark on Yarn, solution is to include on the SparkContext definition where of files location, so yarn can select better containers.
Productionizing a 24/7 Spark Streaming service on YARN
Issac Buenrostro, Arup Malakar (Ooyala)
Going Live – Things to Address Before Your First Live Deployment
Gary Malouf (MediaCrossing Inc.)
- Spark Standalone would be better if only Spark were running.
- Using MESOS, Chronos for job scheduling
- Cassandra (Long Term Data)
“If you’re starting on 2014, try to go with Spark”
HDFS for small data -> KV data prefer uses Cassandra (rollups, reports, etc)
A Web application for interactive data analysis with Spark
Romain Rigaux (Cloudera)
Submitting spark jobs directly
Hue –> Spark Job Server –> Spark
- Leverage on Spark Job Server
Convert your Job to Spark Job Server, using